Friday, June 30, 2006

saying goodbye

In a word, saying goodbye to those we love just sucks. Whether it's for a day, a week or for longer, I do not enjoy goodbyes. YUCK!
My brother and sister-in-law are leaving in the morning for Ft. Collins, Colorado and a fresh start. While I am so excited to see what God is going to do for them, there is just something about watching your niece and nephew cry their eyes out that makes you die a little inside.
I praise God for perspective. Just over a year ago, I was walking their road. We were leaving a good job, tons of friends, family and church who adored us and a beautiful home to come to a place where things were VERY unknown. Isn't it amazing how God brings us through things so that we can have grace for those who go through it later? I am so glad that I walked the path so that Matt and Chris knew that, while I didn't quite understand WHY they were leaving, I understood the NEED to go.
God doesn't call us to something without expecting a sacrifice. Whether that be just the obedience to go, or the sacrifice of time, money, energy or pride - nothing we do can be done without God teaching us something through it. Sometimes that totally stinks, and other times it is the best reward.
So, just know that if you are walking down a path you think no one else has traveled, look around. God may be putting someone in your path that has been down that way before you. Listen to their advice. Listen to what God has shown them. It may not be what you want to hear, but it will help with perspective. It may even give you the grace to walk through it. You never know, you just may be that person for someone else. Don't be afraid to say that you were mad at God or that you stopped talking to Him for awhile....people need to hear that. They need you to be REAL to them.
My nephew is really mad at God right now. He was yelling tonight that he didn't understand why God would do this and that God was mean and unfair. I told him that he has the right to feel that way - but to not let his heart be hardened, but to let it draw him closer to God. God understands when we are mad at Him. He just wants us to learn what He is teaching us. It's in the times that I am the maddest at God that I draw closer to Him. I am SEEKING the reason and it makes me come closer in to Him.
Anyway, I hope that all makes sense. I came right home tonight and blogged it so that I wouldn't forget what I wanted to say. I wrote this on Alyson's blog, but I think it pertains to all of us right now...."Don't be discouraged by the NOW, but be encouraged by what is to COME."
Keep us in your prayers. We are really going through the ringer right now. Business is not well and for the first time, we are seriously thinking of closing it. BUT, I am trying to be encouraged by the "what is to come." It just needs to happen soon..... Please God, we are asking for a miracle right now!

3 comments:

Marlene said...

Your nephew is lucky to have you to share his pain with. Goodbye's are never easy, because someone is always left behind, usually sad, when the one leaving is off (with excitement) to start a new chapter in their life. God moves people for His reasons, not ours, and sometimes we don't understand why. But, He always has a plan, and as long as you believe that, you'll be fine.
As for the job situation...we are praying for you guys. We hope that He speaks loud and clear as to what He has planned for you. Hang tough, and keep the faith. You WILL get through this!
Love you!

P.S. Love the new look!

Alyson said...

I always said it is worse to be the one left behind and that is what you now feel, but as the one now leaving I must say that this is very difficult as well. I feel so bad for the people grieving for their loss(not to sound conceited).

We will pray for you and J. and God's help with the decision making process. Hopefully things will turn around quickly.

friend said...

Yes Lord let it come.