Thursday, September 21, 2006

rant

OK - I have to say that if I hear one more thing about how breastfed babies are smarter, prettier, nicer, don't get sick/ear infections, more apt to go to college, more likely to win a Nobel Peace Prize, etc...I am going to puke!
The newest insult stems from an article I read in my Parents magazine today. NOW, not only are breastfed babies all of the above and so much more, NOW they don't wet the bed as much as their formula fed counterparts. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have tried to be nice about this, but I am taking the gloves off. JUST BECAUSE YOU BREASTFEED YOUR BABY...DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU ARE PERFECT AND NEITHER IS YOUR CHILD!
Believe me, I have seen lots of breastfed babies and I like the fact that my kids were formula fed. My kids have had their share of problems, but NONE of my three kids had any issue potty training! And, they had formula every day until they were a year old! I got to sleep and my husband got to take a turn at 2 in morning! I am DONE making excuses about why I didn't breastfeed! Maybe it was - gasp - because it's a complete pain it the butt and more trouble than it's worth??!!?!?! Everyone else gets to have an opinion, but mine doesn't count - PLEASE!!!
Every kid does stuff at their own pace and in their own timing. WHO CARES!!!!!!!!! Why does everything have to be a competition? And this is from someone who is very competitive! Good grief, don't we have bigger problems in our world to deal with? No, we have to give out "grant" money for the sake of studying breastfeeding and potty training?!?!?!?! In the words of one of my favorite reporters, John Stossel,- GIVE ME A BREAK!

6 comments:

friend said...

You wouldn't be so angry if you were breastfed....

just kidding.

Jenell Coker said...

Ok Look I am a big advocate for breast-feeding and I do think that there are some proven health statistics that tout its benefits. As you said there are also benefits to bottle feeding your child. The truth is we live in the US and we have many choices and healthy options for our children. In other countries where nursing woman are malnourished we are sending over formula as much as we can. I doubt they are talking about potty training and the formula that the US sends over. The formula is keeping mother and child alive!
These silly studies are simply to sell magazines. My question is Jen, why does this make you so angry? If you really think you did what is best for you and your kids who cares what Parent Magazine says?

Jen Johnson said...

Chris - There you go! Now you know what's wrong with you! HA!

Ben - HA HA HA....very funny. Actually I was breastfed for awhile.....

Jenell - It makes me so angry because no one ever recognizes that there are people like me who couldn't breastfeed. And even if you decided not to because of a choice not to you are made to feel like a second class citizen among other mothers. I'm just really tired of society in general making others feel like a social outcast if they don't fit the "right" look. Whether that's breastfeeding, age, weight, etc... It just gets really old. I'd love to see an article about someone who chose not to breastfeed and the benefits they saw in that. Of course, that will never get published because that doesn't fit the criteria of the "right" way to do things....

Marlene said...

Jen-as a Mom who also was not able to breastfeed (obviously... my kids were adopted), I have sympathy for you. I was feeding my newborn son a bottle at the mall one day when a woman approached me and said, May I ask why you aren't breasfeeding your baby? I replied with, "Well, it's really not your concern, but if you must know, my son is adopted." She said "Oh", and quickly left. I was furious!
But, I also have to admit that had I given birth to my kids, I would have definately tried to breastfeed. I know its not for everybody, but I would have loved that experience.
I say, to each his own, and we shouldn't judge people for their choices. I think our kids (meaning yours and mine) turned out pretty darn awesome...breastfed or not!

Missed you this past weekend! Let's talk one of these days!

Jenell Coker said...

Jen
I think you may be forgetting that women who breastfeed are also stigmatized. We are constantly fighting the over sexualization of our breasts and the sneers and dirty looks when we breastfeed in public. I never showed my breast but often placed a blanket over my baby's head when I did not want to miss a movie or sermon. I had a few comments made to me that were rude and unkind. I also had a man I respected say to me in a snide way "Why don't you just use a bottle! I don't want to be around when you are doing that!" Men will think that women are somehow getting off by breastfeeding! Sick!
By the time my last child came around I sat in dirty restroom stalls and fed her so not to hear the comments and deal with the stares. Since the 50's women who choose to breastfeed have been constantly trying to combat those very comments. Yes, I do think the pendulum has swung too far to the other side when it comes to parenting advice, however it was not long ago that the "in thing" was bottle feeding. I guess you are damned if you do and damned if you don’t!

Alyson said...

WOW! Yes, your opinion does count. I have to believe that this post is a general venting, but I must say I felt a bit stunned.

I think that as a group of friends we have done very well at respecting one another's opinions and decisions, especially about parenting issues and I really hope that your words were not meant to be directed at us personally. I find that all of "our children" are amazing in their own ways, whether they came from the breastfeeder or the bottle feeder.

Please, on the flip side, do not judge us because we decided to breastfeed. By the way, I know that there were times where I got funny looks for breastfeeding and I really believe that no matter what we do someone will think poorly of our decision.

Therefore, we have to each make our own choices, with our husbands according to what we feel God is saying is best for our family. Period.

I love you and am truly grieved by your hurt in this area.