Tuesday, August 29, 2006

bugs and other nasty things....

As you all know, I hate bugs... pretty much any kind, with the possible exception of ladybugs and praying mantis'. They completely creep me out and I always scream like a little girl when I first see them. Last week, I saw a cricket on a box I was trying to get into and I screamed until my throat hurt!
The bug I hate the worst? Mosquitos....definitely....and of course due to all the rain we've had over the last couple of weeks, we have an infestion of the little blood suckers. If you know me well, you know that when I get mosquito bites they swell up to the size of quarters. You also know that I tend to get many if I get one. So as you probably already can guess, I have had many mosquito bites in the last week....25 to be exact....and I'm NOT exaggerating! YUCK!
The only other thing I hate worse than bugs are things that are dirty. And of course, God, with His hilarious sense of humor has seen to it that both of these things have come together to make my life hell. (I'm NOT being dramatic! :))
I got a note yesterday saying that a child in Cais' class has/had lice. Ummmm...you have no idea how grossed out that made me. I swear I itched all afternoon/evening! To make matters worse, this kid is a friend of Cais', so we have to check her for lice for the next two weeks! I know that most of you are laughing your butts off right now, but it's NOT FUNNY! I'm seriously freaked out! Poor Cais, she had to take a shower yesterday as soon as she got home from school and I made her wash her hair like 5 times. Then, I took all her clothes that she wore that day, along with her sheets and towels and I washed them in HOT water. I have no idea what I'm going to do if she gets it. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In other news, school is going well for both kids. Sam is quite the popular little boy - all the girls is his class wait by the fence to tell him goodbye every afternoon. SIGH! Who would blame them? That kid is so darn cute! Cais is doing well too. Mastering subtraction has been hard, but she is doing much better. Wil misses his sissy and Sam, but really likes the time alone with Mommy. Matt and Chris got him a new bike for his birthday and he is trying hard to make his legs long enough to work it! J is really enjoying his job, although he is extremely busy. The church plant starts in two weeks and we are ready! The kids start soccer in two weeks as well. We are going to be busy!

Thanks for all your prayers and encouragement during this time. So many of you have helped in so many different ways. We are so grateful and blessed to have you all as our friends (actually, family). Our prayer is that God would use this time in our lives to help us remember those who are in the same situation. Maybe one day we'll be able to return the favor!

6 comments:

Matthew Self said...

Jen,

Further out in the desert (where we live) there are scorpion/spider looking things called "sun spiders." They look like scorpions, but with ten legs. They creep Jess and I out, but we've learned not to kill them because they actually eat scorpions, ticks, mites, and all the other things we hate.

My suggestion for you is to go get some geckos and release them into your yard. They will feed on mosquitoes and all kinds of other things that drive you, um, buggy. ;)

Marlene said...

I have one word for you....DEET!

I am also a mosquito magnet, so when we go camping, my best friend is "OFF". Another thing that works is vitamin b, but I think you have to actually take it for awhile to get it into your system.
As far as the lice goes...do whatever it takes to prevent it! My neice got it at school one time and my sister said it was the worst experience ever! It took several weeks to get them all out.
Good luck with that and I will pray that Cais doesn't get it!

So glad they like school!

Alyson said...

I think this may be my biggest fear about moving to Florida! I cannot stand bugs. They gross my out, they scare me and I feel entirely violated when I find them in my home. I plan to spend a lot of money on the very best bug repellent company there is down there and hope they are as good as I have heard.

No advice on the lice. I hope God does not have any "lessons" for you in this area!

P.S. I really miss you.

Jenell Coker said...

You tell those little girly girls to keep their hand off my future son-in-law. Don't think I won't come out there and open a can of whoop-Ass if I need to.


Sorry about the bugs! I love you and miss you more than you know!

gathering lilies said...

Hi Jen!
We have lice-experience from back in Boston when the kids were small. Lice actually like CLEAN heads I'm afraid!! They don't like dirt either :o) BUT, they are still bugs, so I'm sorry this is happening to you!
The easiest way, IF Cais should come home with them/one, is:
1) Treat her head - it doesn't take much - the regular lice shampoo will do it, and she won't miss more than a day of school. Don't overuse ot on her because those are strong chemicals on the scalp.
2) Bag up the things she's recently been in head-contact with (I know...), and shut them in one chosen room that you will then not use for about a month (seriously - until any possible eggs/creepies have died). Then just forget about them!! Anything that's there is not going to crawl out and around your home. Usually there are only one or two of the adult creatures because you've had the alert - it's the kid who's first found to have them who may have had a headful incubating!!

Let us know - and we'll send up a prayer that God will be gracious to you!!!!

gathering lilies said...

Oh, I forgot, we also used that time to do a fresh round of extra short haircuts - it's easier to see if you're dealing with anything, and easier to use the shampoo if necessary!