Monday, January 09, 2006

football, narnia and a new job (Jen on her soap box)

Thought I'd combine three posts into one to cut down on reading time for everyone.

As you all know, my passion for football runs deep. I am in the minority of women who enjoy this sport, but I grew up with a crazed Denver fan for a dad and a brother...go figure. I generally only have time to watch the teams I enjoy (Broncos/Cowboys), but yesterday I decided to watch the Bengals/Steelers game. As I settled down with my heating pad(horrible back strain)..to enjoy the game, I was horrified to see what happened within the first two plays. One defender deliberately knocked down the quarterback for the Bengals in the knees and down he went, never to return to the game. Six plays later, the Steelers injured another wide reciever for the Bengals who also did not return. Needless to say, the Bengals lost. Normally, I couldn't care less, but I was angered by the fact that the Steelers took out the two best players to win. It was the one of the most HEINOUS things I have ever seen. No penalties, no personal fouls, no lost yardage....in fact a personal foul was called on one of the Bengals! I couldn't believe it! That player from the Steelers should've been removed from the game!! ARGH! I had to change the channel because I was yelling at the TV and J was trying to take a nap, consequently wasn't too excited with my yelling! HA!

I got to go on a date with J this weekend to see "Narnia". Matt and Chris took the kids ALL NIGHT! HALLELUJAH! We had a great time. Really enjoyed the movie although I think I let everyone build it up so much for me that I was a little disappointed. But, it was still meaningful and very much like the book. I found myself remembering the book as I was watching the movie. Lucy reminded me of a dark haired Eleora and I found myself missing her sweet little face. It's just a shame that this movie is overshadowed by movies like "Brokeback Mountain." Saw the previews for that and got the willies. Normally, gay themed things don't even phase me, but for some reason this one gave me the creeps. Go figure.

I got a design job! J's dad is starting two new businesses and hired me to design two logos and business cards. So, that's pretty cool. I finished the logo design and am on to the bc's. Shouldn't be too hard. But, it's nice to be paid for what you do. I'm still considering going back to school to study graphic design, but think I'll have to wait until Sam is in school. I really enjoy it, just wish I knew everything about Photoshop so that I'm not constantly having to refer to the book. That stuff comes really easy to me, so it makes it fun.

Anyway, just had to rant for a few minutes. I'm feeling very tired and my back is killing me, so I'll log off. If you want to read a really great blog debate, check out Jason Coker's blog. Really cool discussion!

Adios,
Jen

2 comments:

Jenell Coker said...

Good for you on the new job! I don't know what to say about football so sorry.

Marlene said...

Congratulations on your new job! Doesn't it feel good to work for money again?? Good for you!

I saw the game, too, and I just thought it was sad that the quarterback got knocked out on the 2nd play of a playoff game!

I also really enjoyed the Narnia movie, but I have to say that I was a little disappointed that the "Christian" connotations weren't a little more obvious. But I guess that is C.S. Lewis for ya!

Love ya lots!