Sunday, November 19, 2006

joy and giving thanks...

Happy Thanksgiving to you all! We are excited to be staying in Phoenix this year for the holiday season. NO TRAVELING! Hooray! But, I hope for all of you who are, that you will be safe and enjoy the time with family and friends.

I attended the Women of Faith conference this past weekend with my mom and cousin, Lesha. We had a great time and really enjoyed the conference as a whole. There was one speaker that really stood out to me, maybe because we have similar backgrounds, or maybe because she just spoke something that really hit me where I live. Her name was Luci Swindoll (sister of Chuck) and she talked about how we should celebrate life and find the pockets of joy in everyday - even the bad ones! I can't remember everything she said, but the theme of her talk really convicted me.

As most of you know, I am a pretty pessimistic person - definitely a glass half empty type of gal if you know what I mean. I have a hard time seeing the good in the bad. I realized this weekend that it has been a long time since I had a good belly laugh. It is much easier to see the bad stuff going on, focus on that and forget that there is always joy to be found. So, in order to get myself headed in a different direction, I am going to list 5 things that bring me joy:

1. My husband. We have a very difficult year thus far. With the closing of our business, almost filing bankruptcy, and some personal issues....we have been skating on some pretty thin marital ice. However, J brings me so much joy! He is always trying to find ways to make me smile. He sometimes goes to the extreme of nuttiness in order to do so, but he can always wring a smile or laugh out of me. I choose to love him every day for the rest of my life. He is my joy.
2. My kids. While they may drive me crazy, they do things every day that bring me so much joy. From snuggling up to me on the couch to helping out with house cleaning - they always want to see me happy. I want to enjoy this time in their lives. I choose to focus on the "pockets of joy" vs. the bad moments. They are my joy.
3. My parents. I have so enjoyed the last year and a half of living near them. They are such special people and I am so glad that they are my parents. I choose to enjoy the good times and not focus on the sad ones. They are my joy.
4. My new house. I can't wait to move in! I am looking forward to clean carpet and the freshness that a new house brings. I choose to focus on the excitement of moving in and not the anxiety of mortgage payments or the possibility of finding a job. Finally moving into a house that is 'ours" will bring me joy!
5. My church. Finally, a place where we feel a sense of belonging! We have been so welcomed by all these people in Amadeo. We are moving to Sundays in a couple weeks and I feel a certain anticipation in that. I feel that God is telling us to get ready! I choose to walk in that anticipation! These people and this church bring me joy.

There! That wasn't too bad! I want to choose to walk in faith that God will continue to bring me reminders to look for the pockets of joy in my life. Life...celebrate it....live...laugh...learn...love. (Luci Swindoll). May God begin to show you the small things to be thankful for during this time. I am so thankful for all of you!

2 comments:

Alyson said...

Way to go, Jen! I have been thinking about this in my own life too. I felt excited yesterday and was trying to figure out why. I realized it was nothing in particular, just the excitement of my kids and husband and every day that they make me laugh. Thank God for great families! Happy Thanksgiving. I love you.

Jenell Coker said...

You go girl! I miss you! Have a great Thanksgiving.